Surfing = Trading
I don’t know how many other traders out there have tried or are regular
surfers, but I would highly recommend it if purely as a trading exercise.
Allow me to elaborate.
I’m not sure of the best way to present this, so I’ll just list
out the analogies that came to mind out on the water today.
- Trying to surf (trade) against the direction of the waves (trend) is extremely
tiring, and basically not possible. You will save yourself lots of energy (money)
and have a lot more fun if you ride the waves rather than trying to fight them.
- You can’t catch every wave (trend). You have
to get yourself into position and wait for the right wave to come along.
Sometimes this means sitting out in the water all day.
- Sometimes you fall (get stopped out) off a great
wave (trade). That’s
just the way it is. You have to get back on your board, paddle back out,
and wait for the next wave (trade) to come along.
- You have to know when to stop riding the waves (trends) to avoid being
hurt (giving back profit). You should know where this point is before
you catch the wave.
- Stay off the chop or you will become very tired very quickly.
I’m sure there are many many more, but you get the idea. By the end
of the day, you will physically feel what it means to trade with the trend.
Soren's Blog link: